lundi 22 octobre 2012

Inside the cuckoo's nest

I've been lately desperately looking for good horror movies to go through my sunday hangover and have been disappointed. A lot. So when I put on The Incident, I was mostly expecting some distracting geyser of blood but wasn't holding my breath. Well, I have to admit this movie wasn't as bad as expected. The plot itself is intriging - a power cut happens in an asylum and leave the cooking team and the security guys alone in the dark with the inmates. Pretty exciting, huh?


The beginning is a bit slow - but one can't expect to see ininterrupted slaughter for one hour and a half, right - and sets a nice tone - a gang of wannabe Thee Oh Sees is struggling to make it in the business and work as cooks in a highly dangerous asylum  in the meanwhile. Well, just the perspective of seing these bearded-flannelshirted losers getting ripped to pieces is enough to get me going, so I was game from then. The hospital environment is easy to turn into something scary - it already is. Add the "crazy" element and you got yourself a perfect spot for a picnic. But the asylum - or whatever this building is in real life - where the film was shot is hautingly beautiful, in the 70's sovietic meaning of the word, and give a real cachet to the whole story. 

As for the action, well, you get what you came for, obviously: a head is being ripped, a cook is being cooked, a nose is being eaten and an arm is being peeled as if it were a vulgar potato. Some may complain about the lack of murders and the level of violence being to low - well, I don't know about that. The overload of massacre is sometime confusing, especially in the dark. I mean, you just end up slipping because of the blood everywhere, and stumbling on corpses trying to find out who's dead, who's not, where is the exit and whose is that arm again. 

Aucun commentaire: