dimanche 11 novembre 2012

"Sent here? What are you, a letter?"

I usually don't like whatever is supposed to be funny. Funny people, comedy, stand-up comedians - well, I don't know much about the US scene, but the french one is currently pretty lame - not a fan. So apart from the odd youtube video that I end up watching from time to time, I just sulk most of the time and put on a sarcastic grin when people make references to a whole world of jokes I have no access to - because of my quasi-physical repulsion for the Funny. 

About Louis CK, I was horrified just reading the pitch : 40 year old standup comedian living in New-York, struggling to make a living while looking for love. Ew. Well, it's not. It's actually one of the funniest thing I have ever seen on television and probably in life, generally. [This is kind of my classic move - Reading the synosis, getting all scared, watching the stuff and being all like "I wanna be Mrs CK when I grow up", but never mind. It's a wonder why I still haven't got the message - like " don't be driven away by synopsis because the're not real"? Whatever.]



So Louis IS funny. Why? To me, it's mostly because he's mean. He's really he's mean, and with everyone, including himself. Although I have not idea what it's like to be a 40-ish single dad in New-York with a dispensable job, I can somehow relate to the beautiful feeling of looserness embodied by the show. Louie is huge because he seems to get something I wish more people would understand: that there's nothing there, no true meaning, no relevance whatsoever and no discourse that could actually have any effect but sugarcoating the obvious truth: we're just miserable and trying to get by and to have a good time while at it. I do think that it's the message. Or that there's no message, which is just confirming my first idea - no message means there's no message which IS the message. And the medium. 

No but seriously. I could not quote a thing or another about the whole series, because there's to much to go through and because I'm too busy celebrating the end of WW1, but one could watch just about anything and feel the love. I can just mention this one thing that left me gawking and and hysterically chuckling while repeating thisisfuckinggenius over and over in my head - and maybe out loud I don't know - it's the appearance of David Lynch in the season 3. Firstly seen from behind like this:
Lynch is Mr Dough ( Doght? Dowgh? D'oh?), a producer who has to prep Louis for a big gig. Watching him explain the rules of comedy and television while listening to jokes about the cold war is a dumbfoundingly kantian experience. Well, it's rather cool anyway.

Aucun commentaire: